Maximizing profitability in mechanical pulping
For decades, Metso’s automation products and services have helped you to optimize the performance of your processes and the end-use performance of your fiber and paper products. But Metso is much more than just a product company. With extensive knowledge of how pulp and paper processes work and how they can be optimized Metso provides solutions to the challenges facing you today.
With accurate, reliable process and product measurements, stabilizing controls, valves and other control devices, advanced multi-variable process controls, and operator information tools, Metso provides the means and the knowledge to solve process stability issues and ensure maximum and sustainable profitability. Together with you, our clients, we analyze and provide solutions to the most common and chronic causes of instability, inefficiency, and high costs. And furthermore, we deliver the results you ask for and expect.
Our tailor-made solutions address the common issues that mechanical pulp producers face today. Our applications knowledge and process control tools optimize the productivity and profitability of both thermomechanical (TMP) and groundwood fiber lines.
- Reduced variability and higher pulp quality
- Our Optimal Refining concept, which employs Metso’s unmatched knowledge of refining and process control, allows our customers to produce the highest pulp quality with the lowest variability. Metso's process and pulp quality analyzers integrated with our Advanced Quality Control (AQC) optimal control solution in Metso DNA provide you with the fiber quality and process stability required to produce pulp in the most cost-effective way while meeting the furnish quality requirements of your papermaking processes.
- Lower energy consumption
- Advanced Quality Control (AQC) of single or multiple main line refiners, reject refiners and screening lowers fiber quality variability. As a result, specific refining or grinding energy consumption and overall mill energy use can be reduced while maintaining or improving fiber properties and papermaking performance. With AQC, peak power consumption can be reduced, thereby cutting electrical demand costs.
Our Power Contract Optimization Solution schedules the time operation and sequencing of multiple refining lines to reduce total energy costs, subject to variable power contract pricing, while meeting papermaking fiber production requirements.
- Reduced paper machine furnish costs
- Papermakers are asking for stable and predictable fiber furnish. With AQC, fiber quality and furnish freeness is more uniform, allowing expensive reinforcing pulp to be minimized.
- Better papermaking and pressroom performance
- A stable fiber furnish translates into better paper machine runnability and higher efficiencies. With more uniform and predictable sheet strength properties your customers will see more consistent performance in their printing plants as well.
- Extending automation network lifecycles and minimizing lifecycle costs
- By modernizing and upgrading the capabilities of your existing automation infrastructure maintenance costs can be slashed, uptime can be maximized and the lifecycle of your investments in automation can be extended for many years.