Safe, fast and automatic train unloading
Track grade, curve and indexing speed are the most prominent factors influencing positioner system design.
Metso’s rack and pinion positioner handles:
- Maximum train weights up to 31,000 tonnes (34,000 tons US)
- Pulling forces up to 177 kilogram-force (390,000 lbf. US)
- Hauling speed up to 0.75 m/s (2.5 ft/s US)
When combined with our railcar dumper, the complete system provides fast dependable train turnaround requiring only one operator.
- Faster cycle times due to more accurate car spotting. No rope stretch.
- Additional drives can be added to the carriage in the future should trains with heavier railcars result in additional pulling force requirements.
- Less foundation requirements by eliminating the off-board rope drive foundation.
- The train positioner may work in conjunction with train holding devices, such as a holding arm, wheel clamps or wheel chocks.
How it works?
Cartridge drives with pinions are fix-mounted on a traveling positioner frame. Machined racks mounted to a secure longitudinal foundation between the positioner rails drive the unit along the rails. A heavy duty positioner arm on the positioner frame interacts with the railcar couplers (drawbars) to accurately index the train into the proper position for railcar unloading.