Metso Tissue Headbox Service
for Higher Quality Production
An optimally functioning headbox allows everything else in the tissue making process to function at its best, with high runnability and quality. Thus, any work done to improve headbox performance actually helps the whole production line. This is what Metso’s Headbox services are designed to do.
Analyzing headbox problems
Many headbox problems appear slowly without clear indications. If slight performance variations are noticed, operators may make adjustments to counteract these. Despite these adjustments, the machine efficiency and tissue quality may still decrease, because without knowing the real causes of problems, corrective action can often make them worse.
Headbox services performed by Metso are only carried out after the exact needs of the headbox are first identified through expert testing and analyzing. It is important to realize that condition testing is not just a one-time service procedure, and that regular and specialized testing, analysis and service are essential for maintaining the optimum condition of the headbox.
While we recommend that tissue makers test and analyze their headboxes regularly enough to prevent any unexpected malfunctions, Metso's headbox experts are also available to mills for troubleshooting, with the know-how to find and fix any headbox problem, and also ensure that future problems are spotted well in advance. It is also possible to establish a remote connection between the mill's control system and the Metso remote diagnostics center to speed up trouble shooting.
A headbox process and condition test by Metso includes the following items:
- Inspection of headbox flow surfaces and seals
- Measurement of deviations in the headbox slice area
- Testing of controls and movements
- Inspection of alignments, including the alignment between top slice, apron and forming table
- Paper sample analysis in a laboratory
- Process evaluation
Metso also offers as an option:
- Jet velocity profile measurement
- Pulsation and vibration measurements
- Process analysis of CD profile control system
- Study of profiling control system operation
Mills should not have to live with less than optimal headbox performance. Headboxes are precision pieces of machinery that need frequent and very good care from expert service personnel. Regular examination and analysis of your headbox helps Metso’s specialists to draw up a thorough report of the current condition and reconditioning needs of the headbox.
Metso has the special skills necessary to perform corrective maintenance on faulty headboxes. We have knowledge of the parts, settings and techniques needed to repair and fine tune headboxes, with particular experience in replacing and profiling the lip.
Typical headbox service actions are:
- Replacement of the slice lip
- Reconditioning of the apron
- Reconditioning and tuning of the slice control system
- Headbox realignments
- Reconditioning of the top slice movement mechanism
- Reconditioning of rectifier rolls
- Cleaning and MX06 treatment of headbox flow surfaces
- Replacement of headbox seals