Respecting human rights in our operations not only contributes to positive human rights impacts, it also allows us to operate, and improve our operational risk management through improved working conditions. Additionally, we build and maintain transparent stakeholder relations and a culture of sustainability.
Metso’s policies and commitment create the foundation for our approach in respecting the rights of the people that are employed in our value chain and in the communities around our businesses. Metso respects and supports the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights, such as those described in the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, the International Labor Organization’s Declaration of Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, and the Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption.
Managing human right issues is incorporated into our employment practices and processes in all Metso countries.
Examples of human rights topics that we continuously review:
- Occupational health and safety: Our Health, Safety and Environment Policy defines our commitment to responsible management of HSE in our own operations and in stakeholder collaboration. Metso has clearly defined its HSE minimum safety standards. HSE instructions and procedures are available, and in addition, HSE audits, safety conversations, risk observations are used to improve our HSE performance.
- Avoidance of forced labor: All Metso employees have signed employment contracts including agreements about salaries and other terms of employment.
- Wages: to ensure appropriate salary levels for Metso employees, Metso regularly reviews external salary benchmarks to create salary range references in all Metso countries.
- Working hours and overtime: In Metso, time cards and attendance records are used for tracking working hours and overtime.
- Grievance channels and remediation mechanism: in 2017, we reinforced our communications related to the Whistleblower channel covering all Code of Conduct related misconduct in addition to financial misconduct.