Crushing potential to full use with an optimized chamber
The typical target in chamber optimization is to maximize the wear life of the crusher wear parts. This will lead to less wear parts change-outs and less stops in production. Other targets are to increase crushing capacity and decrease energy consumption without endangering the components of the crusher, enabling our customers to operate with lower cost per ton.
Metso's Chamber Optimization Program is especially beneficial for high-volume crushing purposes, where tailoring enables increased production. For developing optimum crusher chambers, Metso uses a state-of-the-art computer-controlled simulation software, which has been developed in-house during several decades.
By using this tool, taking into account your experiences and applying our expert-level crusher knowledge, we make sure the set production targets are achieved.
5 steps of Chamber Optimization:
- Data collection: The optimization process starts with data collection. Our experts perform an audit to identify primary factors of your plant such as feed gradation, material samples, power draw, foam castings of wear patterns and crusher settings. This way, we make sure all necessary factors in your process are taken into account.
- Analysis: This data is then carefully analyzed and improvement potential is identified. Our competence center network focuses on crushing process simulation, material characteristics, improvement potential and global benchmarking.
- Re-engineering: Global Metso know-how is utilized to re-engineer the needed components regarding metallurgy, simulation and chamber engineering.
- Manufacturing: Improved crusher wear parts are then manufactured in Metso’s global foundry network in order to have full control of the supply chain. This ensures consistent quality, perfect fit and high availability.
- Follow-up: After the delivery the behavior of new components is monitored intensely to see the results in capacity increase, longer wear life and lower cost per ton.
These steps are repeated for continuous long term development.
The case studies below highlight results achieved by Metso customers through Chamber Optimization.
Case study: 15% more throughput and 5 days more uptime
Since 2010, the Terrafame mine in Finland has collaborated with Metso to optimize the wear parts of its primary gyratory crusher
The first step of the project was to solve challenges that the slippery, graphite-rich ore was causing for the primary crusher by redesigning the chamber profile. This bumped the capacity of the critical primary crusher to the desired 3500 tonnes per hour.
The next target was to extend the wear life of the primary gyratory wear parts by optimizing the materials used. A major increase in annual uptime was now possible, as the longer lifetime of the primary crusher wear parts allows them to be changed out simultaneously with the maintenance of downstream equipment.
The following results were achieved:
more annual uptime
5 Mt -> 14 Mt
concave wear life
of the primary crusher
What is your performance target?
Metso's Chamber Optimization Program is available for all crusher types. To discover how it can improve the performance of your plant, contact your local Metso expert for a plant audit.