With digitalization we strive to improve the KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) of our equipment and services to reduce operational costs as well as our environmental footprint. We have identified five major digitalization focus points within metals processing. These focus points have dedicated levers to improve efficiency across the whole value chain:
1) Data analytics and simulation
2) Engineering twins and process twins
3) Virtual training simulators for successful commissioning
4) Intelligent instruments and advanced process control tools enhanced by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine learning (ML) to optimize production
5) Connected analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), enhanced by AI/ML for plant and equipment level for technical support and asset management
A look into the future
In addition to extremely strict emission control in the future, the current raw-material base is shifting towards a higher amount of impurities, which brings new challenges and changes into the existing metals and chemicals processing methods. These changes will influence not only the metals industry, but also the chemical production for fertilizers. There, too, we are looking for new innovative solutions.
At Metso Outotec, our innovation and R&D projects are highly focused on finding solutions that allow us to enable sustainable modern life, following the path guided by the global megatrends.